Re: venkatesvara mangalam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 16, 1998

----------
> From: Mani Varadarajan
> To: bhakti@lists.best.com
> Subject: Re: venkatesvara mangalam
> Date: Wednesday, September 16, 1998 1:01 PM
>
> Mohan Sagar wrote:
> > Sri Manavalamamunigal himself composed the mangalAsasanam.
>
> Mohan,
>
> Are you sure about this? I recall kAncIpuram SrI aNNangarAcAriar svAmi
> having said in a lecture that prativAdi bhayankaram aNNan had
> composed this whole set, including the mangaLam, at maamunigaL's
> niyamanam.  This is from a cassette entitled "tiruvengadam udaiyAn
> vaibhavam."
>
> Mani
------------------------

I thought I was for certain, but now rethinking it, and from what you have
said above, now am not so sure.  However, from Sri K. S. R. Datta's
translation (the one that you  stated is technically accurate in a related
posting), the last line of the mangalam is translated as "May
auspiciousness be to Sri Srinivasa who dwells in the heart of the sage
Manavala and all the worlds."  I presumed that this line would be the
closing line of the author of the work, similar to the signature line used
by famous composers such as Sri Thayagaraja.  But, it is also possible that
this was Sri P. B. Annan Swamy's way of paying respects to his teacher.

I am the novice when it comes to the sanskrit vs. tamizh names of our
pUrvachAryans.   But, I have not yet heard the revered Manavalamamuni
referred to as srImat-sundara jAmAtramuni as Sri Datta claims that he is in
this context.  But, as Sri Datta seems to be fairly accurate his
translation of the rest of the text, I presume that he is correct when says
that this muni is Sri Manavalamamunigal.

Perhaps, students of the learned and much later day PBA Swamy can shed some
more light on this.

adiyEn,

Mohan