Re: kaNNan piRandhAn! - 2

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 3, 1998

>On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Sri Sadagopan wrote:
>
>> In summary , GaurangA is the Combined form of
>> Sri KrishNA ( VrajEsvarA ) and Sri RadhA RaaNi( Nappinnai?).

This question mark within the paranthesis was
intended as reference to some , who equate
Nappinnai to RadhA RaaNi. I should have explained that
a little more precisely . I might have given the
impression that I have some doubts about this
realtionship /identity . I was making an academic point
about the fundamental beliefs of Gaudiya VaishNavites ,
independent of anyone's value judgement questioning its
authenticity or veracity.

It is old hat however for knowledgable Sri VaishNavAs
that Nappinnai is identical to NiLA DEvi . Regret my imprecision
here in not using one more sentence to state that some
ViashNavAs believe that RadhA is Napinnai .

>   adiyen asked Sri U.Ve.VillUr KarunAkaran swAmy about the identity of
>   nappinnai pirAtti & Smt rAdhA . Based on swAmi's response :
>
>   " Smt rAdhA is certainly not nappinnai pirAtti . They are two different
>personalities , as evident from the purAnAs. Smt rAdhA is not mentioned
>in either Srimad BhAgavatham or Vishnu purAnam & the like. In pAdma
>purAnam  , she is mentioned as one of the gopIs & her origin is traced
>to "GolOkA" (ie. KrishNalokA) , one amongst the lOkAs that are presided by
>Sriman nArAyaNA through His vibhava avatArams " .

Nappinnai is not mentioned in Bhaagavatham or
VishNu purANam etal . According to the opinion of
my fellow villager , play mate and friend of our family for
many years , Sri KaruNAkaran Swamy , I have to interpolate
then that Nappinnai belongs to GolOkam (i-e) KrishNa lokam
as well referred to above . ANDAL however appeals to
Nappinnai in ThiruppAvai in this "gOlOkam "and I have
to assume that She is an amsam of MahA Lakshmi ,
Since KrishNA is the Vibhava avathAram of
Sriman NaarAyaNA .

About Jaya and VijayA and their "descent"
to earth as a result of the curse etc ,
I will write separately . That is going
to be a long one !

V.Sadagopan