From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 29, 1995

krish  followed up:
>My response was a query about the need for prayer. I think it is
>ultimatel youself ( myself ) living with a concience. And our bringing up
>affects it. The purpose of growing up is to question our beliefs and
>evolve rejecting or accepting. In our work we want to be rationale. Theories
>are resolved with experiments and new inventions created. Where does one's
>belief stand in such a rational world?

     Expanding a little further, I think one of the
     signs of a Sri Vaishnava is to not question
     the motivation of naam Jap, or any other form
     of worship, performed by someone else.

[.. rest of Krish's article deleted..]

=====================================

This is another post from: krish

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 11:49:20 -0400
To: MFPD@UTCVM.UTC.EDU
Subject: Re: naam Jap

I recall your menton of Rama and Hanuman. Am I correct?
Here is something for you from Sundara Kanda, that makes you feel that
Shakespeare might have got the idea for his Othello. The theme might
have bee well known.
The scene is Asokavana, Hanuman seeing Sita, plans his approach and
has to convince her that he is from Rama and not one of Ravana's.
He tells her the encounter with Kakasura, only know to Rama and Sita.
This section is very toucihing in Sundarakanda.

      I don't recall mentioning Rama and Hanuman.
      However, I agree with your characterization of
      the scene you are describing. Even if one's rationality
      comes in the way of believing Ramayana there are many
      lessons one could learn from it.  Hanuman's thoughtfulness
      and tact is something that I wish I could emulate.

-- Dileepan