Re: Digest Number 706

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 25, 2002

Om Namo Venkatesaya. While I can't immediately give any reference, I too
heard the story about Lord Srinivasa (or Venkateswara) playing a game of
dice with Sri Hatiram Babaji. So Shri Sadagopan's conjecture may or may not
be correct. And the Sthala Puranam also says that if the Lord succeeds in
paying off His debt, the world will come to an end! (pralayam).

The Mahant or Babaji got the name of Hatiram, since an elephant also
figures in the story (Lord appearing as an elephant?). sorry that I don't
remember the full details. And yes, there is a small temple of Sri Venu
Gopala Swamy maintained by the people of that Sri Hatiramji Mutt on the way
to Papanasanam Tirtham, which I am sure all of you would have visited.

Let us some one on the list will be able to get the full details of this
Sthala Purana.

And yes, Kubera, does mean one who is deformed. He was a great Siva Bhakta
and was treated as a friend by Sri Siva. He was given the lordship over the
northern direction. I read the story sometime ago but can't remember fully.
I can look it up if some one is interested.

Sri Venkatesa Charanau Saranam Prapadye!

Swamy SV