Three Updates on Books and Audio Tapes on SrI Bhagavad RaamAnuja SiddhAntham

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 25, 2002

SrI:

SrImathE RaamAnujAya Nama:

Dear BhakthAs:

In this note, I would like to update you on
three items of SrI VaishNavite source literature
on topics close to the hearts of us as SrI VaishNavaas.

(1) Dr.N.S.Anantha RangAchAryA Swamy's books on Upanishads
Many of you have supported the Release of Dr.N.S.A Swamy's
book(s) on Upanishads following the  VisishtAdvaithic way of
intrepretation of Upanishad BhAshyakArar , SrI Ranga RaamAnuja
Muni of SrIrangam , who lived in the 16th Century. Sri Adhi Sankara
and Sri Aananda Theerthar (MadhvAchArya) have written commentaries
on the Ten major upanishads . AchArya RaamAnujA did not however
write the commentaries on the DasOpanishads , although , he has
commented extensively of the Ten Upanishads with the exception of
MaaNDUkya Upanishad in his magnum opus, SrI BhAshyam.
SrI Ranga RaamAnujA Muni  wrote four centuries later
the commentary on the DasOpanishads and a few more ,
where he followed closely the views of Acharya
RaamAnujA . Dr.N.S. Aanatha Rangacharya Swamy's  books
follow the Sanskrit commentary of Upanishad BhAshyakArar ,
SrI Ranga RaamAnuja Muni .

I am attaching a status report on the progress of
the Kaimkaryam by Dr. N.S.A. Swamy's KumArar at the end of
this note .

A generous AaasthikA from Australia has borne single handedly
half of the total cost of $2,000 for this kaimakryam . This is
wonderful news .Rest of the funds have been raised from
Your contributions.All of those , who supported this Kaimkaryam
will get copies of the books as and when they get released.
We can expect the first one to be released in a month's time.

(2) Dr.S.M.S. Chari's New book on Upanishads
While we were concerned about the acute shortage of Books on
Upanishads in English that follow the VisishtAdvaithic
intrepretation  , it is my pleasure to let you know that we
have been blessed now with a scholarly monograph entitled
" The Philosophy of Upanishads " by Dr.S.M.S. Chari Swamy
of Bangalore. The Delhi publisher sent me an advanced copy for
review , which I recieved today. I will be studying it and
sharing with you the highlights of this masterly treatise ,
which addresses an important need. Dr.S.M.S. Chari is a disciple
of HH the 42nd Jeeyar of AhObila Matam and SrI GhOshtipuram  Swamy
and has performed KaalakshEpams under the sacred feet of
these MahAthmAs.

This monograph is a penetrating and dispassionate analysis
of selected passages from 14 Upanishads and a comparitive
evaluation of the  commentaries of Sankara, RaamAnujA and
MadhvA about these passages that are incorporated in their
respective BhAshyams on the VedAntha SoothrAs of BadarAyaNA .

The book of Dr.S.M.S.Chari is divided into two parts:

Part I covers the philosophical Teachings of 14 principal
Upanishads ( BrahadAraNyaka, ChAndhOgya , TaittirIya ,
MuNdaka , KathOpanishad, SvEtasvatara , IsAvAsya,
Kena , Prasna , AitrEya , MaaNdUkya , KaushitAkI ,
SubAla and MahA NaarAyaNa ).

Part II covers the five fundamental doctrines of
the VedAntha elaborated in these Upanishads :

a. The doctrine of Brahman
b. The doctrine of JeevAthman
c. The doctrine of Jagath
d. The doctrine of SaadhanA
e. The doctrine of Parama PurushArTA

During the course of the next few days, adiyEn
will summarize the high lights of this scholarly
treatise.

3) English  Commentaries on SrImath Rahasya Thraya Saaram
Among the 120 SrI Sookthis of Swamy  Desikan , SrImath
Rahasya Thraya Saaram (RTS) stands as His Magnum Opus.
It is generally conceded that Swamy Desikan's avathAram
had the goal of establishing Prapatthi or Bhara NyAsam
on the firmest of footings for Moksham.With the help of
PramANams from VedAs, Smruthi, PurANams IthihAsAs and
AzhwAr's aruLiccheyalkaLs , Swamy  Desikan has refuted
the arguments of those , who were opposed to Bhara NyAsam
as the prescribed and favored anushtAnam for Moksham .
It is important for all SrI vaishNavAs study Sri RTS
atleast once in their life under the sacred feet of
a SadAchAryan.

We are forunate to have a brilliant English commentary
on SrI RTS from SrI U.Ve. Dr.V.KaNNan Swamin ,
the grandson of Vaikunta Vaasi , the renowned Munithrayam
AchAryA , SrI U.Ve. MadhurAntakam  VeerarAghavAcchAr
Swamy.There are thiteen audio tapes recorded by
U.Ve. KaNNan Swamy :

Tape 1: AdhikaraNa 1-4

Tape 2: AdhikaraNa 5,6 (Continued)

Tape 3: AdhikaraNa 6-12

Tape 4: AdhikaraNa 13-16 (Beginning)

Tape 5: AdhikaraNa 16-19 (Beginning)

Tape 6: AdhikaraNa 19-21

Tape 7: AdhikaraNa 22, 23 (Beginning)

Tape 8: AdhikaraNa 23, 24 (Beginnig )

Tape 9: AdhikaraNa 24, 25 and 26 (Beginning)

Tape 10:AdhikaraNa 26, 27

Tape 11:AdhikaraNa 28,29 and 30 (Beginning)

Tape 12:Adhikarana 30, 31, 32

Tape 13:A Discussion

Dr. Kannan Swamin is a KaalakshEpAdhikAri of
distinction and uses clear English to cover
complicated doctrines and their intrepretations
by Swamy  Desikan .SrI RanganAthA Temple of
Pomona , NY will make arrangements for the acquisition
of these tapes for those , who wish to study
SrI RTS in the English medium.

4) attachment from SrI Narasimhan Swamy about
   Dr.NSA Swamy's Upanishad Monograph :

At 05:05 PM 9/11/02 +0530, SrI Narasimhan  wrote:

>Dear Sriman Sadagopan Swamin:
>I would like to inform you that Sriman B. A Swamy from Australia had
>come home and given his contribution of Rs 45,000/- today towards the
>printing of books on Upanishads. Its been a great contribution and my father
>expressed his sincere thankfulness to the efforts of all of you.
>
>The first book which will have translations from selected mantras from 15
>upanishads will be ready in less than a month from now. The third round (and
>final) of proof-reading is going on now.
>
>Regarding the second work, Chandogya upanishad with transaltion and notes,
>6 main chapters are complete and 3 more chapters are pending to be done.
>My father expects that it maybe ready in 6-8 weeks from now.
>
>Regards,
>Narasimhan

Please contact me if you need additional information
on any one of these three source lierature items of
particualr interest to us all.

SrImath Azhagiya Singar ThiruvadigaLE saraNam ,

Oppilaippan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan