Re: Fwd: Tirumala main door & game of dice

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 23, 2002

At 08:46 AM 9/23/02 -0000, you wrote:
>While entering the main Tirumala temple, one can see some pictures
>being depicted on those doors. In one of them, one can see the lord
>playing a game of dice with a very fat person.
>
>Can someone on this throw some light on this  ? I heard that this was
>a saint called Hathiram Baba who originally hailed from the north but
>settled down at tirumala after seeing the lord there.
>Janaki Raman

SrI:

Dear SrI Janaki Raaman :

I have not seen this picture on the door.
I can venture a guess, which may be on or off the mark.
According to Sthala PurANam , Lord SrInivAsa borrowed a lot
of money from KubErA an dis still paying it off !

This fat person could be KubEra , whom the Lord might like
to engage in the game of dice to settle the debt load !
KuberA is the Lord of wealth , king of Men and Geni ,
who dwells in his northern capital of AlakApuri.
with his Nava nidihis(nine treasures)!

In PurANams , KubErA is depicted as a white dwarf
with a large body.His name is derived in one tradition
as the "Ku-bEran" or the ill shaped one because of
his fatness and dwarfish stature.

V.Sadagopan