Re: Context and out of context.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 20, 2002

Dear All.,

I would also like to add the following as my final humble views:

Everyone is entitled to their own interpretations and anubhavams
- no doubt and taken.

tiruppavai 2nd verse has the phrase -
"Vaiyathu...... NAtkAle NErAdi" -
NAtkAle - early morning is the ONLY meaning.

It is well accepted that we must try to understand
Arulicheyal (Divya prabandham) only in the light of
poorvacharya vyakhyanams through our respective
Acharyans.

A meaning can be
1. completely wrong (abatham)
2. correct literally - but out of context
3. correct both literally and contextually
4. correct both literally, contextually and also in line
with the poorvacharya's interpretation.

One of the prime reason for the sacredness of the
Poorvacharya vyakhyanams are not just because it is done
by them. But, also because, those who did write the
vyakhyanams - did not write as their own; they wrote
it with the one single aim in mind that

"Will this vyakhyanam EmperumAnAr (Swami Ramanuja)
thiruvullathuku ugappaga irukkuma??"
(even when the vyakhyana kartha lived much after
Swami EmperumAnAr).

So, one of the main goals of vyakhyanam is to interpret in
such a way that this will bring happiness to the
heart of Sri Ramanuja.

So, if we keep this goal in our mind the rest of the
things will fall in place. and will not lead us to
invent our own meanings - it may not be wrong, it may
not be improper (grammatically or otherwise) - yet,
it is not the BEST simply because it is not in line with
Poorvacharya's thinking (i.e SriVaishnava Philosophy).

It is probably the easiest thing to invent novel meanings,
but what is difficult is to be novel and also be in line
with Poorvacharya's thinking. (because, they left us no
job to be done, except learning and practicing.)

Vasaka Dhosha: Kshanthavya:

adiyen rAmAnuja DAsan
-arulmari.