Re: Opening of Vishnu Sahasranamam...

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 20, 2002

Dear Sri Vijayaraghavan,

Indeed, you have pointed out the most straightforward
interpretation.  'SuklAmbara-dharam' properly refers
to Lord Vishnu himself and not even to Vishvaksena,
and certainly not Ganapati.
Sri U.Ve. Chetlur Srivatsankacharya, the well-known
Vedanta and Vyakarana (Sanskrit grammar) vidvAn,
says that Vishnu is referred to here in his avatAra
as Lord Hayagriva, since Hayagriva is invariable clad
in white and is himself resplendently white in color.

A word on Ganapati, the elephant-faced deity commonly
worshipped for the destruction of obstacles. In the
yoga-shastra, Ganapati is the deity of the mUlAdhAra
chakra, the spiritual chakra at the base of the spine.
Since yogic practice commences with this chakra, it
was understood that one must pass through this chakra
(ostensibly through the power of Ganapati) to move to
higher yogic practice. In the mundane realm, this
translated into the belief that one should worship
Ganapati as a remover of all worldly obstacles as well.

Be that as it way, it has been well-established in
the Vedanta, Divya Prabandham, and supporting shastras
that worship of the ParamAtman alone secures any
blessing obtainable through worship of any other power
or deity as well as 'yoga-kshema' that are infathomable
through any other means. Hence, Vedanta fills out our
understanding.  While we continue to recognize intellectually
that Ganapati is the presiding deity of the mUlAdhAra chakra
and is a destroyer of obstacles, we recognize that the
power behind Ganapati is none other than the ParamAtman
Sriman Narayana so through enlightened worship of the
ParamAtman alone all blessedness is secured, without
taking recourse to any secondary deities.  Hence the
initial praise of Lord Vishnu in 'SuklAmbara-dharam'
for the sake of the destruction of any and all obstacles
(sarva-vighna-upaSAntaye). I will not belabor this point
further as it has been addressed by many learned members
previously.

|| namaH sarvAtmane ||

Mani