Re: Opening of Vishnu Sahasranamam...

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 20, 2002

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Dear Sri Vijay Raghavan,

This coems from the last part of the opening line:
sarva vigna upashAnthaye, which talks about one who
is responsible for the removal of all difficulties.
This is commonly used to refer to Sri Ganesha, whose
other names include Vigneshvara. However, for
Srivaishnavas, Sri Vishvaksena is responsible for
the removal of difficulties. Even during homas, we
invoke Vishvaksena homam first as opposed to non-
Srivaishnavas who would do a Ganapathi homam first.

Note that the term vishNum is taken not in the
masculine mode but as a qualifying term and as such
is not necessarily interpreted as refering to Lord
Vishnu.

Ultimately though, since He is the antharyami for
everyone, I don't see any difficulty in taking that
these lines to refer to none other than Sriman
Narayana.

Interestingly the second set of lines "yasya ..."
which directly refer to Sri Vishvaksena is recited
by all Srivaishnavas but recordings of Sahsranamam
such as that by Smt M.S. Subbulakshmi do not have it.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan
http://www.acharya.org

http://sbc.yahoo.com