Re: chitranchiru kaale!!

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 20, 2002

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Dear BhAgavatas,

I agree with Sri Hari Krishnan. If Sri Visu and others
want to enjoy this pasuram while considering the divine
kutti (small) leg of Sri Krishna, that's a good
anubhavam. I am reminded of the oft quoted episode of
a bhAgavata singing "mara prabhu:" instead of "amara
prabhu:" in Sahasranamam and Him enjoying that.

Having said that, however, it is also important to
recognize this as a new anubhavam but not in tune
with prior interpretations as well as not being
gramattically correct.

I have already gone through once showing that the
un and nee cannot go with the leg (kAl) and that
they would go with the true vocative in this
pasuram which is Govinda. Also, Azhvars are not in
the habit of addressing His divine avayas as kAlE,
kaiyE, etc.

In this note I will address the new points raised by
Sri Visu.

1. The context of early morning is important in a number
of ways. The fact dawn is used is not just because it is
related to the month of mArgazhi. Chittramcirukale is
recited in Srivaishnava households every day of the
year - not just mArgazhi. There is a very compelling
reason behind this. Neither is the dawn restricted to
a single month nor does it simply refer to the physical
waking up alone. It refers to the spiritual awakening
as well (agak kaN and puRak kaN). Andal's advise is
that once you wake up physically and spiritually, do
not waste much time after that; seek His lotus feet and
surrender immediately. Having walked us through
multiple stages her final advice is just that. So,
interpreting kAlE as dawn does not restrict it in any
way to margazhi month alone. However, that usage does
flow with the context of the prior pasurams thus far
in Thiruppavai.

Regarding the need for reference to His lotus feet in
the final pasurams (this is not proven as required),
that is taken care of through the use of poRRAmaRai adi
pORRum, therefore there is no need to search for it in
kAlE.

2. Song #5 (mAyanai) is also an exception as well as
#30. Thanks for bringing up this point though - I had
not noted this before in the pasurams. However, note
even in the pasuram anRivvulagam, a case can be made
that it is not necessarily in the vocative. Aside from
that, the vocative is used in the first five lines as
you mentioned and it is the same in pasuram 29 as well.
It happens in the fifth line when she calls Govinda!

3. See above. Govinda is the vocative, so no need to
interpret kAlE as the vocative.

4. The use of kAlE instead of kAlai or kAlam has been
addressed by vyakhyadars. I will try to get the
reference and post it later.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan