Re: Dvividha in Srimad Bhagavatam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 20, 2002

Namaskarams to you first.

It seems to be the same vanara. I don't know what to
say on immortality part (Immortality may have levels
and even Indra's life is much shorter compared to Lord
Brahma as we all know. Anyway he lived for an yuga and
in some sense justfied Valmiki.

All said and done, there are lot of differences in the
time concept of valmiki and Bhagavatham. Krishna lived
for 120 years only and Valmiki talkes about few ten
thousands of years for Rama.

Valmiki says Kashyapa did tapas for 1000 deva years to
get vamana while Bhgavatham talks about his wife doing
it just for few days.

Poets have a tendency to cross realties of time and
space all said and done.

Anyway, all this are to improve bhakthi and we need to
really look at the principles they stand for. Vedas
usually talk about praying the Gods to grant trouble
free 100 years of life and that is very convincing.

warm regards,
Balaji S.