Re: Fwd: Books on 4000 Divya prapandam & Alwars

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 17, 2002

SrI:

Dear SrI Anand:

For the SampradhAyic intrepretation ,
the publications of Dr.V.N.Vedantha Desikan
Swamy on AzhwAr ThiruvuLLam ( Swamy NammAzhwAr's
ThiruvAimozhi : Two volumes) and the other two volumes
on IyaRppA are the best . UtthamUr Swamy's
commentaries on the Dhivya prabhandhams are also
classics from the SampradhAyic view point .

I will be happy to provide the addresses , where
you can purchase them in Chennai , if needed.

The upcoming release of the First Volume of
AzhwAr's Vaibhavam THIS MONTH will contain the recitation of
7 AzhwAr's entire paasurams in the manner in which
the Melkote Dhivya prabahndha GhOshti recites
going back to AchArya RaamAnujA's time . The life
and the dhivya desams visited by the AzhwArs are there
with excellent graphics and English text in the Interactive
Multimedia format .Sanskrit/Tamil  Taniyans and
the Paasurams recitation form the studio
recorded audio content .The 7 AzhwArs covered
in this First Volume are:

The Three Mudhal AzhwArs , PeriyAzhwAr , ANDAL ,
ThoNDaradippodi , ThiruppANar .Their 1011 pasurams
are recorded in the audio format with breif notes
on their aruLiccheyalkaL .

That leaves us with the lives and works of
Swamy  NammAzhwAr , Madhura Kavi, KulasEkharar,
Kaliyan and Thirumazhisai . That content will be released
as Volumes II and III of the Lives and works of AzhwArs
during this Marghazhi Maasam/Vaikunta EkAdasi time frame .

NamO NaarAyaNa ,
Oppiliappan Koil V.Sadagopan

[ I also would highly recommend 'Alvar Tiruvullam' to
  readers of Tamil. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan has done
  a very commendable job of taking all the purvacharyas'
  works and condensing them into a single, easy-to-read
  Tamil version. The English translation is also helpful
  but nowhere near as detailed as the Tamil. -- Mani ]