Re: Tiruppavai and Thailand

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 29, 2000

R Shashidhar writes:
> Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati adverts to
> it in a different context as quoted in "Hindu Dharma" :
[...]
> The Thais now
> must be likewise ignorant about the Pavis but,
> all the same, they hold in the month of Dhanus
> every year a celebration called "Triyampavai - Trippavai. "

Dear Shashidhar,

Thanks for your note. I also have heard Sri Chandrasekharendra
Saraswati's discourse which mentions this. But I have not been able
to find any evidence verifying the joint recitation of Tiruvempavai
and Tiruppavai in Thailand. Judging from the info I have found,
the Thais appear to be only aware of Tiruppavai and selections from
Nacciyar Tirumozhi, thanks to Vaishnava migrants from Tamil Nadu.

Joint recitation of Tiruvempavai - Tiruppavai appears to be a phenomenon
of this century, without any basis in the Saiva or Vaishnava traditions,
or in Tamil culture.