[sv-rituals] Re: prAnAyAmam - one more time

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 11, 2002

Dear Mani,

I agree with you.In our Sampradayam Many vaidikas are very particular and dedicted in their anusthanams,but in general among the my friends and others i have seen that smarthas are more particular in their
Anusthanams like Sandhya Gayatri etc than us.Just as an example
my friend here used to take more than 3 hours to complete the 1008 Gayatri on Gayatri japam day after avani avittam saying each gayatri
mantram in the prescribed manner without any hurry.I have observed
many such instances of Smartha boys being more dedicated.

                Once while i was talking to a bhaTTar from
Azhwar Thirunagari,he mentioned how among some smartha families the tradition of sending one of their son(s) for veda adhyayanam and priesthood was there,but is almost absent in our sampradayam

Regards
Venkat S Iyengar

-- In sv-rituals@y..., "mani2"  wrote:
> Dear Sri Vijayaraghavan,
>
> I should hasten to say that I shouldn't have written
> so broadly. Of course Navalpakkam Swami and others
> were extremely dedicated and thorough in their anushthanam.
> I am sure there are many other stalwarts in this day
> who maintain such dedication. Yet in my experience
> I find the general desire to learn Vedas properly, adhere
> to nitya-karmas, observe Ekadashi, etc., less among
> our lay adherents than say in the smArta and mAdhva communities
> among those who are religious-minded. This of course is
> purely anecdotal and may be far from the truth. I am
> very happy if the truth is different from my perception.
>
> Once again I apologize for the broad statement.
>
> Regards,
> Mani
>
> --- In sv-rituals@y..., "Vijayaraghavan Srinivasan"
>  wrote:
> > Dear S/Shri Mani & Balaji:
> >
> > I don't think Mani's observations are correct.  My experience is
> different.
> > Many SrI VaishnavAs go to great lengths for proper pronunciation
> and proper
> > performance of rituals.  The great leaders usually determine the
> standards
> > for a particular group.  NavalpAkkam Swamigal and other SrI
> Vaishnava
> > SwAmigals have indeed lived a near-perfect life as per the vedic
> traditions.
> >   Also I would like to quote another example:  In my classes a
> number of
> > people that include smArtAs & MadhwAs I have seen Sri VaishnavAs
> making a
> > special effort to learn it correctly.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.