Re:[sv-rituals] Doubts for clarification

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 1, 2002

Dear Sri Srinivasa Raghavan

Prayer can be done at any clean place.
We can pray sitting on a chair also.

I have the following views on this.
Ideally speaking sitting on the floor in
a PadmAsana position is most suitable for
prayer. It is in this position you can concenterate
better, and hence pray better. Preferably one should
be facing the East or North East direction while
praying.
While praying it is ideal to concenterate on the God
within you, in your heart.

I quote a Sloka from SrimadbhAgwatham

kechit svadeham antarhridayAvakAshe
prAdeshamAtram purusham vasantam!
chaturbhujam kanjarathAnga
shankha gadAdharam dhArnyAsmaranti !!

In this slokam bhakta prahlAda says one must
contemplate and pray the Almighty who is in
the hearts of all. One should reflect on the
four armed image of paramAtman holding
shanka, chakra, gadA(mace) and lotus.

Regards
Gururaj