[sv-rituals] Re: Samidadhanam (nithyakarmangal)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 14, 2002

--- In sv-rituals@y..., "shastri19"  wrote:
> Dear all
> Does anyone know if the paddhati for samidadhanam and aupasanam
veli
> are available online? (or if anyone has this on hand, can forward
it
> to me)
>
> Thanks,
>
> A. K. Shastri

Dear Sri Shastri,

I cannot comment on the practicality of samidadhanam; I do
know that a few people in the U.S. continue to perform it.
However, aupAsana homa is virtually impossible for anyone
to do daily here. The reason is that the agni (sacred household
fire) must be kept going, at least in embers, forever, without
break. If there is a break, one has to the vichinna-agni-sandhAnam,
which is an elaborate procedure taking at least 20 minutes.
Since most of us live in wood frame houses this is impractical
and a hazard.  What one can do is at least recite the mantras.
One of my close friends here regularly recites the samidAdhAnam
mantras in lieu of its actual performance.

What is perhaps more practical, and more fundamental, is symbolic
performance of the panca-mahA-yajnas, the five "great sacrifices"
that are incumbent upon all gRhasthas. This can be done in a
grand total of 5-10 minutes.  My acharya recently graciously
guided me in the performance of these.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search