[sv-rituals] Re: Temple kumbabhishekams at what cost?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 11, 2002

--- In sv-rituals@y..., Shuba   wrote:
> Dear Moderator,
>
> I am not sure if this is the appropriate group to post this
> article too. Please redirect as you see fit.
>
> http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?
> fodname=20020610&fname=Temples+%28F%29&sid=1

It is true that some new techniques are being used which do not sit
well on the old structures such as our temples. The result could be
something unaesthetic or it may be destructive, at some level, to the
structure itself.

On the other hand, one must take into account the fact that these
temples are living institutions. They serve the devotees in the
community (village, taluka, district, state) as well as other
devotees spread far and wide. A kumbhabhisekam focuses attention on
the temple and apart from carrying out some much needed repairs, also
brings much needed funds to the temple.

While our temple structures should be preserved in their pristine
purity, it is perhaps more important that the temple as a functioning
institution be preserved too. An HR & CE person lamenting the poor
work habits and processes used in repairs is one thing. But a
journalist doing this makes one wonder. This same journalist a few
months before had run an article in the same magazine criticizing
Tamil brahmins for making Karnatic music static. He does not show an
ounce of gnyaanam in that article, only superficial impressions.
Refer http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?
fodname=20020121&fname=Chennai+Festival+%28F%29&sid=1

If you left it to this writer, he would perhaps cleanse the temple of
all of its corporate functions and recreate it in the image of a
pyramid or a mausoleum. Great for tourism probably but of no
intrinsic value to the community it has been serving.

This writer's attitude is an extreme case of the attitude in much
greater moderation that is seen in the lament of a Sanskrit professor
(of European origin) that the Indian community in every city in the
US will collect money to build a Hindu temple but will not collect to
endow a chair of Sanskrit.

Hope this helps,

Lakshmi Srinivas

Will You Find True Love?