Re: [sv-rituals] Re: Significance of NAmam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 18, 2002

sri parthasarathi thunai
srimathe ramanujaya namaha

Dear sri Venkat,
  I sincerely accept with you that such misusages
should be curbed though it is a difficult task since
it is buried deep inside the minds of the masses.
  I just wanted say here a story i have heard for the
usage of govinda govinda for any cheating. Once there
was a person who did  robbery and cheated a lot of
people. He used to do only bad things. But by god's
grace by chance he helped one sadhu once. The sadhu
was grateful to him and wanted to give him something.
The sadhu asked who he was. As our elders say
'Darsanedeva Sadhava:', at the site of a sadhu one
becomes good. So this person also accepted his sinful
life.  The sadhu knew changing him totally was
impossible so he asked him to atleast say the nama of
bhagavan Govinda whenever he cheated or did something
wrong. Since the Bhagavat thirunamam had the power to
purify his sins and also to make him good. So he
continued with this practise, which now continues in
the society also ,that whenever a person cheats
,others say govinda govinda.
   Though it is a sad part that the divine nama is
used for such a purpose one thing is good about it. As
per Bhagavatham '...Shokam Helanamevava' that is even
if we utter the nama of Bhagavan for parihasam or to
show its lowness in what ever way we say ,it yields
the same palan.  Uttering is the atmost essential. So
we can be satisfied that people keep repeating the
govinda nama quite often. Like a medicine which gives
its effect and cures a disease of both who know its
advantage and take it willingly and also for a child
which doesnt know the advantage and takes it crying,
Bhagavan Nama also cures our birth and death cycles
and makes us Bhagavatals.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasyai
Sumithra Varadarajan

--- venkat iyengar  wrote:
> Maybe the sender of the mail (reg use of namam as
> derogatory)
> must have made the comment because of the 'general
> usage of Namam
> The word 'Namam' is used in a derogatory sense by
> the general public
> in tamil nadu.and is used when one has been cheated
> by someone else
> Similar reference is with names like govinda-govinda
>  etc.This kind
> of practice reg the inappropriate usage has to be
> curbed.
>
> venkat
>

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:08:26
> >--- mani2  wrote:
> >>
> >> Someone wrote that calling the Urdhva puNDra
> >> (tirumaN - SrIcUrNam)
> >> "nAmam" is derogatory and without meaning. This
> is
> >> not true.
> >> The tirumaN - SrIcUrNam are placed on twelve
> places
> >> on the body.
> >> Each of these marks corresponds to one of the
> twelve
> >> names
> >> (dvAdaSa-nAma) of Vishnu and Lakshmi.  Because of
> >> this it is
> >> known as nAmam.  There is nothing wrong with this
> >> usage.
> >>
> >> rAmAnuja dAsa
> >> Mani

> >Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
> >http://taxes.yahoo.com/
> >

> See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar

http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.