RE: [sv-poetry] Sri Vilakkoli Perumal, Thoopul/ThirutthaNkA dhivya Desam: Nithya AarAdhana kaimkaryam for VilakkoLi PerumAL and Swamy Desikan : Part XVII: Fourteenth SlOkam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 28, 2002

Dear SrImaAn Venkatesh:

Please accept my Panguni Uttharam day greetings
to You . May the SrIrangam Dhivya Dampathis' blessings
be with you always!

Your question is most welcome . I will respond to
it to the best of my ability. This issue of our Lord's
spontaneous grace (nirhEthuka KrupA)versus conscious
human effort (sahRthuka KrupA) to qualify for it
has attracted the attention of brilliant minds
from AchArya RaamAnujA's time onwards to today .
What I am going to say is hence nothing new .
Different AchArya paramparais have taken different
positions . I was explaining the view of
Swamy Desikan . Yet , there is a way that bridges
the nirhEthuka KrupA and sahEthuka KrupA.

The quick answer to your query is that BhagavAn
out of His krupA directs the Jeevan to a sadAchAryan
and the Prapatthi done thru that SadAchAryan results
in the Lord's acceptance of that Prapatthi. SadAchaaryan
essentially prepares the jeevan with sadupadEsam
on Tathtva Thrayam , performs upadEsams on
the three manthrAs and offers that " prepared" jeevan
back to the owner. Thus the Lord  as Sarva rakshakan ,
Sahaja Suhruth , Sarvajn~an , Sarva SakthimAn and
avAptha samastha kaaman has a dual role here to play
without contradiction to His nirhEthuka KrupA.
Spontaneous grace of the Lord is thus intertwined
with the minimal human effort that precedes it.
The usual analogy given is the spontaneous flow of
Mother's milk and the minimal effort on the part of
the infant to gain it .

To avoid any thought of arbitrariness and
partiality ( Vaishamya NairguNya DhOsham ),
Our Lord accepts the vyAjam of Prapatthi
to shower His abundant grace . The opportunity
to seek a sadAchAryan and engage in the path of
a spiritual discipline is provided by the Lord
Himself in rcognition of good and meritorious
deed performed by the jeevan consciously
or otherwise . Our Lord's grace is recognized here
as the prime cause (pradhAna hEthu ) and Prapatthi
is viewed as the accessory cause (SahakAri KaaraNam).
The vyAja of Prapatthi is the link/bridge between
the two kinds of KrupA.

The third verse of NyAsa Dasakam of Swami Desiakn
has been my guiding light in these matters as pointed
out by my AchAryan, who has placed aatma-rakshA-bharam
at the Thiruvadi of MaalOlan :

SvAmi svasEsham svavasam sva-bharathvEna nirbharam
svadhattha-svadhiyA svArTam svasmin nyasyathi maam svayam

This powerful slOkam emphasizing Saathvika ThyAgam
consisting of the three parts ( Karthruthva ,
MamathA and Phala ThyAgams) underlines the following
important points pertinent to NyAsa VidhyA or Prapatthi
yOgam:

1. SrIman NaarAyaNan is the Supreme Lord of all (SvAmi).

2. I am Your bonded servant/adimai (Sva-sEsham).

3. I am  controlled by You (sva-vasam).

4. You have blessed me with the Jn~Anam about You
   (Sva-dhattha sva-dhiyA)." You have enabled me
   to know Your nature.You have endowed me with
   the capacity to think."

5. SvArTam nirbharam sva-bharathvEna Svayam Svasmin
   nyasyathi ( " You Yourself have made me surrender
   myself to You for Your own pleasure with the responsibility
   of protecting it and getting rid of that burden from me").

The Fourteenth slOkam of SrI SaraNAgathi DhIpikai
echos some of the thoughts of the above NyAsa Dasakam
slOkam .

SrImath Azhagiya Singar ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.