FW: Re : Our Original Position

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 29, 1999

-----Original Message-----
From:	Krishna Kalale [SMTP:kkalale1@san.rr.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, October 05, 1999 3:00 AM
To:	'HRID'
Subject:	RE: Re : Our Original Position

-----Original Message-----
From:	HRID [SMTP:hrid@ivs.edu]
Sent:	Sunday, October 03, 1999 11:10 AM
To:	kkalale1@san.rr.com
Cc:	'hrid@ivs.edu'
Subject:	Re : Our Original Position

Dear Sri Krishna Prasada,
	Thank you for your letter.

>WITH THIS,  I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT THERE IS NO RETURN FROM MOKSHA...AND
>THERE IS NO SCRIPTURAL EVIDENCE FOR THE CONTRARY

	This was not our point. The scriptures talk about souls that
are ALREADY fallen in the material world, and state that once they
become free from such conditioning, they don't return. This does not
refer to those who are coming down to the material world. Thus your
point does not address the specific topic.
[Krishna Kalale]

Dear Sri Hridayananda Goswami,

*******

I would like to know who are meant by "those who are comin down to the
material world"?  whoever they may be, they are definitely not coming due
to karma or even their choice.  It is purely because to serve sriKrishna or
due to Sri Krishna's orders to be carried out in this world.  Even if they
come like that, they are not bound by karma;  Hence it is not a big issue.
 The problem is clearly if you state that "in general, jivas were with Sri
Krishna and they fell down from that state,  then it does not agree with
the position of Sri Baladeva Vidya Bhusana.  Those who are beyond karma are
not addressed by a "sadhana ( or practical) " scripture such as Vedanta
Sutras.

Jaya Vijaya did not fall due to their choice,  it was due their wrong
karmas of stopping the sages.  Such karmas cannot be done in vaikunta
which, by definition is completely rid of all sins. sins of no kind can
exist in vaikunta.

>The theory of karma cannot explain the inequality and cruelty seen in this
>universe, because when the creation first started there was no distinction
>of souls and consequently of karmas  -  this is the objection
>
>the answer from the vedantic siddhanta or conclusion is :
>
>jivas and karmas are beginningless, just like Brahman.
>if you state that karma-begginingless theory is tainted,  with the fault
of
>regresses in infinitum, we say that it is not so because we find authority
>for it in reason also.  The explanation is given in the book..  I will not
>go into details to write down the whole thing.
>
>Please let me know what you feel regarding these statements of Srila
>Baladeva Vidya Bhusana.

	Baladeva states that the argument of infinite regress is
answered "in the book", but since you did not cite that answer, how
can I evaluate it?
[Krishna Kalale]

******

I was under the impression that you do have the book The Vedanta Sutras by
Sri- Baladeva Vidya bhusana, ( I guess I  remember having seen the same Sri
Baladeva Vidyabhusana's sutras quoted in your book) translated to english
by Srisha Chandra Vasu.  I guess you may not have this book. ( this book is
published by Munshiram Manoharlal das, Delhi)

I will quote what he has written. (p. 270) :

"  If you say that    karmas being beginningless, the theory is tainted
with the fault of regressus in infinitum, we say it is not so, because we
find authority for it in reason also.  The well known case of the seed and
the trree is in oint.  Is the seed first or the three? notit is any
objection that God being bound to create according to the karmas of the
souls, loses His independence.The lord certainly is independent, but He is
not capricious and whimsical.  Had He created the world with perfect
disregard t the karmas of the Jivas, He might have proved His omnipotence
to some minds, but to the majority, His act would have appeared capricious
and cruel.  In fact, the autorities clearly show that the substance and
karma and time are equally co-eternal with the Lord, and He creates the
universe, with a full regard to all these three.  It is not only the karma
that conditions the universe, but the substance (or the matter stuff), and
time are also important factors in creation.  Of course, these three are
subordinate to Isvara but He never discregards their existence in His act
of creation.  The Lord is not partial or cruel, or wanting in omnipotence.
 In fact, the theory of karma and the beginninglessness of creation
reconcile all the difficulties.  You cannot say that this theory is open to
the same objection of theory of specific creation.  You cannot say it is
the falling of the smugglers unwittingly into the hands of the
tax-collectors :

Note : Certain merchants, in order to avoid the customs duties, went by a
round about way, to avoid the customs house.  In the dark night, they
missed their way, and after wandering for some time, they took shelter in a
roadside house.  In the morning, it was found that the house they took
shelter, was the customs house which the traders were trying to avoid.
 Thus they had not only to pay the tax, but punished also for trying to
cheat the customs.  This maxim is called "morning in the customs house"

Our theory is not open to this objection of "morning in the customs house".
 In order to avoid the imputation of cruelty and inequality to the Lord, we
have explained eternity of creation, and you cannot say that since the Lord
is not bound to regard the karmas, because He is independent, His creating
a world full of misery, simply to punish the souls for their karmas, bring
you back to the same difficulty, which you were trying to avoid   The Lord,
being perfectly independent, certainly could have created a world full of
joy, and with complete disregard to karma of jivas.  But then His actions,
instead of being regulated by any law, would have been lawless, and it
would not be a creditable attribute of the lord.  Therefore, His creation
of world with erfect regard to the karm of the jivas, and to time and
substance, does not detract from his omnipotence.  But it rather shows
forth His gerat wisdom and compassion.  Though He can act against all the
laws of matter, spirit and karma, yet He is not soing so, and His making
the jivas act in accordance with the tendencies generated by their
beginningless karma, is a matter of HIs glory, and not an instance of His
partiality.  "  - finish quote

>With regards to "fall of jaya vijaya",  it is usually explained by
>vedantins as :
	By all Vedantins, or some of them? Does Sridhara Swami, the
authorized Bhagavatam commentator, explain it that way?
[Krishna Kalale]

I am surprised by another unique characteristic of sri chaitanya
sampradaya.  Srila Jiva Goswami states in the Krama Sandarbha that his
commentary was intended to elucidate the commentary of Sridhara, where it
was felt that it was somewhat difficult to understand. (In other words,
 Sridharaswami's commentary is taken to be authentic.  There is no doubt
that Sridharaswami's commentary is excellent,  However,  Sridharaswami is a
staunch follower of Sri Sankara's advaita philosophy.  He (Sridhara) says
that he wrote his commentary, Bhavartha dipika by name in strict adherence
to the old tradition and followed the footsteps of  Chitsukhacharya
(another famous advaitin).

On the otherhand,  It is well known that in Srila Prabhupada's works,
 mayavadins / advaitins are criticized in many places,  This seems a little
odd.

Coming to the point of the episode of jaya vijaya,  it is clear that
Sridhara swamy's views are no different from the classic advaitic position.
 ie.  Vaikunta is taken to be within the realm of maya, since saguna
brahman is also subject to maya.  Obviously,  vaikunta mentioned in
bhagavatam where jaya vijaya were cursed,  is not the real higher vaikuntam
where there is no question of curse of mistakes,  even though vaikunta is
within the realm of maya and the abode of saguna brahman. In advaita Lord
Krishna with all is infinite excellent auspicious qualities is taken as
saguna brahman and definitely classified as pure.  Hence the abode vaikunta
is also taken to be perfect in this relative world.  from there, there is
no return; hence jaya vijaya were in a different lower vaikunta planet.
 According to advaita,  nirguna brahman is the real reality and different
from the vaikunta which is within maya since there is still duality there.

**********

by the way,  the idea that our original position is to be with Krishna is
to be understood differently.  Not that we were with Godhead earlier and we
fell down from that place.  It is to be perceived differently:

souls intrinsically are pure and their real purpose is to be serving Lord
Srikrishna eternally.  They are mixed up in matter by association.  Even if
they are associated here in matter,  their intrinsic nature is to be pure
and a servant of lord.  it is like how oil and water dont mix,  even here
jiva is pure but his knowledge is polluted by association of matter which
deludes that jiva. We need to come to the pure state of unmixed oil.   In
that sense,  it is ok to state that we need to go back to Godhead.
 however, this should not be misconstrued that we were with God once and
then we fell to this to matter leaving that original state and we need to
:  souls are diamonds dirtied by association with matter.  You dont need to
purify the diamonds.  If you wash the external dirt off, the diamonds are
restored their original position which is purity and eternal service to sri
krishna.  The diamonds themselves dont need to be purified.

  With best wishes,
Hridayananda das Goswami
[Krishna Kalale]
Yours humble servant Krishna Prasad