Re: Upadesa rathna Maalai: Part 7 ( Paasurams 22-24); The threePaasurams on ANDAL's glory

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 25, 1999

Sadagopan wrote:

> The Greatness of the Birthday of ANDAL
>
> inRO ThiruvAdippUram , yemakkaaha-
>    vanRO ingu ANDAL avatharitthAL , kunratha
> vAzhvAna Vaikuntha vaann bhOgam tannai ihazhnthu
>    AzhwAr ThirumakaLaaraai ........(22)

dear bhAgavathAs,
adiyEn is very grateful to srI. sadagOpan
for translating and summarizing each pAsuram
of upadEsa rattina mAlai for our benefit.

The above pAsuram is very special -
In srIvillipuththUr, ANdAl has eNNai kAppu
utsavam every year. During one of those years,
svAmi maNavALa mAmunigaL came all the way from
srIrangam to have the bhAgyam of doing maNgaLasAsanam
for ANdaL during that utsavam. It so happened that on his
way, mAmunigaL got delayed and he could come
to srIvillipuththUr only on the day after the utsavam.
Needless to say, he was extremely sad & disturbed at that.
ANdAL, seeing the distress of her devotee, appeared
in front of svAmi with the eNNai kAppu so that he could
enjoy the utsavam. To commemmorate that, even to this
day, in srIvillipuththUr, on the day after thiruvAdip pUram,
ANdAL goes to svAmi's sannadhi & the gOshti recites just
the one pAsuram "inRO thiruvAdip pUram" repeatedly
for sometime.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan,
AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam,
thirumalai anandAnpiLLai varadhan