Re: Challenge 3.12: "IF MOBILE AND IMMOBILE COULD GO TO HEAVEN, WHY NOT I?"

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 22, 1999

--- Ramanbil@aol.com wrote:
> SwAmi VEdAnta DEsika's "NaichyAnusanthAnam" and
> "SAtvika AhamkAram "
> (As gleaned from his StOtras.) -
> Part 3 - SWAMI CHALLENGES!

> Do you remember that when your "avatAra kAryam" was
> completed in your vibhava > avatAram as Sri Rama,
you took with you to Heavens> (sAnthAnika lOka) all
> living creatures including the grass and shrubs? Why
> did you do that?> Is it not because of their having
just happening to> exist in your city of > sAkEta?

> KoorathAzhwAn in his VaradarAja Sthavam asks a
> similar question -> "No doubt, I have not adopted
any means. But, what> yoga did the denizens of >
sAkEta did to deserve ascending to Heavan?"

Regarding above, adiyen has once learnt that citizens
of Saketa all en masse earned passage to parama-padam
alongwith SriRama because they were subjects of
Bharatha who had earlier performed "saranAgathi" to
Lord Rama not only for himself but also for them. By
virtue of their king's deed of "saranagathi" the
subjects also enjoyed the "phalan" of "prapatti" i.e.
they became 'adhikAri-s" for "mOksham".

Dharma-sookshmum here is that consequences of king's
deed visit his subjects, good or bad. Similarly,
consequences of superior's deeds visit subordinates,
of parent's upon their children and so on and so
forth. Also that true king should look after welfare
of subjects not only in this world but also in the
other world i.e. king should be concerned about
subject's material prosperity and also spiritual
welfare.

Another 'sookshmum' I learnt here is the power of
"prapatti".

So from all this adiyen also learns that it is not as
if denizens of Saketa did not have necessary
qualifications to en masse attain parama-padam at the
end of Rama avatara. What more qualification they
require other than being subjects of true 'prapanna-n'
like Bharatha?

So all credit for this event in Ramayana should go to
Bharatha not to Sri.Rama, adiyen is thinking. Swami
Desikan therefore was not completely right in
challenging poor Sri.Rama with this precedent. What
could poor SriRama do? Matter was not in his hands at
all.

But it is all actually very good poetic humour of our
Swami Desikan and very interesting.

adiyen don't know what 'abiprAyam' you all have in
this matter.

Sampathkumaran

=====