Re: mantra and adhikara

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 14, 1996

Sri M.K. Sudarshan wrote:

> d) we also argued about the untenability of the opposite view (that takes a
> "soft" line on less-than-meticulous articulation and practice of "rahasya
> mantras")from the standpoint of the "prAyaschitta" sastras.

Just a note on this issue:

There is a paasuram of nammaazhvaar's that Desikan and others
quote with approval, wherein aazhvaar says that saying "naaraNa"
instead of the more correct "naaraayaNa" will yield the same
fruit! In other words, the power of perumaaL's name is such
that even improper pronounciation is extremely powerful.

Mani