Re: thiruppathy

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 25, 1995

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995 09:43:43 -0700 (PDT) Vijay Triplicane wrote:

>But there existed a controversy during the time of ramaanujar and he settled
>the issue by keeping a caNGgu + chakkaram and something representing sivan
>in fron of the sanctum sanctorum one night. the next morning the caNGgu +
>chakkaram were found in the arms of Sri vENGgadEsa perumaaL. I heard abt
>this long back. Also the vilvam leaves supposed to be a favourite for sivan
>is used during a particular month for archanai at thiruppathy, i heard.
>anybody from thiruppathy, pls clarify..

    I have read this changu/chakkram incidence in a couple
    Sri Ramanuja biographies.  Therefore there must have
    been some dispute that was settled in favor of Sri vasihnavas.
    This must have been possible due to the literarcy evidence
    from iLangO adigaL and aazhvaars.

    Further, it must be noted that Sivan worship in TN must have
    been after iLangO's time.  There are many refernces to Lord
    Vishnu in Chilappathikaaram, but none directly attributable to
    Sivan.  References to Sivan in earlier works is even rare.
    This can be taken to indicate the absence of Saivism before the
    6/7th century in TN.  Murugan is the other diety of Sangam age,
    not Sivan!

-- Dileepan