Re: Bhakti and Prapatti

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 23, 1995

Mani,

I have serious doubts about your view : that akinchanyam and ananya
gathitvam are main for tankalais. in fact they are the protogonists for
the view that "prapattir vishvasaha" ie. prapatti is mainly trust !
in fact they use this view to retort the need for performance of prapatti
as a karma - action. instead they state that prapatti is trust which is
a mental attitude and knowledge.

krishna
----- Begin Included Message -----

>From mani@srirangam.esd.sgi.com Sun Oct 22 14:49:22 1995
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 11:42:16 -0700
From: mani@srirangam.esd.sgi.com (Mani Varadarajan)
To: prapatti@srirangam.esd.sgi.com, Parthasarati Dileepan
Subject: Re: Bhakti and Prapatti

P. Dileepan wrote:
* >    So, prapatti has no prerequisites!
* >
* >
*
*            I was a little hasty with this statement.
*            One must have faith I think for prapatti.

You have hit on the central point of debate between the
Thengalai philosophy of surrender and the Vadagalai.
According to Pillai Lokacharya, prapatti as no prerequisites
at all.  Faith is not a prerequisite but something that
just falls into place if true prapatti is done. Prapatti
involves 'akincanyam' (a feeling of helplessness) and
'ananygatitvam' (having no other refuge). The two examples
cited time and time again are Kaakaasura, the bird who
tormented Sita and then performed prapatti, and Draupadi,
who when tormented by Duhsasana, surrendered to Lord Krishna.

Mani

----- End Included Message -----