Re: Austrian research on Visishtadvaita (Pancharatra)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 29, 2002

While it is true that there are two well-recognized Agama-s in VishNu
worship, it is not correct to treat them as equal in their
commonalities with respect to viSishTAdvaita.  The two Agama-s differ
in their treatment of SrI, the practice of pa'nca samskAra, the vyUha
concept, their position on the rahasya-traya-s, etc.  Clearly,
pA'ncarAtra is much closer to the viSishTAsdvaita philosophy than
vaikhAnasa is.  While it is true that the phrase "pAncarAtra
(viSishTAdvaita)" is misleading by suggesting that the two are
equivalent terms, it is also not correct to say that the commonality
between vaikhAnasa and viSishTAdvaita is anywhere close to the level
of commonality between pAncarAtra and viSishTAdvaita.  I have dealt
with the commonalities between pA'ncarAtra and viSishTAdvaita in a
previous write-up.  I will submit a write-up on vaikhAnasa in the
future.  In the meantime, as Dr. Sadagopan had indicated in one of
his write-ups, experts in the Agamam field are requested to
contribute and share their knowledge on these issues which are not
well understood by the likes of me.

-dAsan kRshNamAcAryan

--- In bhakti-list@y..., "ks_venkat"  wrote:
> Dear Vishal
>
> I would like to point out that Visistadhvaitha is Vedantha Matham
and
> Panchratraa is an Aaagama...by many Vaishnavaas and Sri Vaishnavaas.
>
> Though In Visitatdhavitha Vedantha System Pancratara Aaagama is held
> in high esteem.and that the Scholars have defended
Pancrathraa,prooved