Re: kamba ramayanam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 11, 2002

Srimathe Srivan Shatagopa sri vedanta desika yatindra
mahadesikaya namah:

Swamin,
Dasan is very limited in the knowldege of all the
granthas but adiyen does not see this to be the case
as, if you look at Sri Bhasyam , Udayavar would not
have picked up the first slokam of kamba ramayanam  as
the opening slokam("Akhile Bhuvanastheme
Bringadhilelay......") of his magnum opus. I have
heard from learned bhagavatas that Udayavar used the
first slokam of kamba ramayanam  to show his respect
to Kamabanat Alwar and also Kamba ramayanam.

Moreover i personally think that during upanyasams ,
people generally speak about Valmiki ramayanam as that
is the only ramayanam that Ramachandra Prabhu heard it
directly . Thats y i think valmikis work has a great
regard. It does not mean that upanyasakars do not have
a regard for other ramayanams.

Please correct me if adiyen is worong.

Dasan Anand

Sri lakshmi narasimha divya paduka sevaka srivan
shatagopa sri narayana yatindra mahadesikaya namah: