Re: PeriyAzhwAr Thirumozhi- 2.9- This ten is full of Kutti KaNNan's divya cEshtitham

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 10, 2002

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dear Sri Muralidhar Swamin,
Your anubhavam and highlighting Vaamana, Rama avtaar is also splendid. May I
seek your permission to post this to all and let us share this  with all
others. Thanks for your encouragement on aDiyEn's post.
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

----Original Message Follows----
From: "rangaswamy_m"
To: "Madhavakkannan V"
Subject: Re: PeriyAzhwAr Thirumozhi- 2.9- This ten is full of Kutti KaNNan's
divya cEshtitham
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 18:39:36 -0000

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Dear Sriman Madhavakkannan Swamin,

Thanks a lot for your brilliant posting on the Pasurams of
PeriyAzhwar. The verse describing the stealing of butter and the
complaints of the Gopis is most moving-particularly, the connection
to Lord Vamana and Lord Rama. Kindly permit adiyen some indulgence
here from the Gopala Vimshati Upanyasam of H.H.

Our Acharya Sarvabhouman declares "There is valid PramANam for Lord
Krishna stealing the butter of the gopa damsels. The Lord is foremost
among the followers of the Shastras. In the Vamana Avatara, He
incarnated as a Brahmachari. Mahabali was an emperor and thus it was
most appropriate that our Lord begged of three paces of land from
Mahabali. In the Rama Avataram, Our Lord occupied the throne of the
Raghus. In other words, He was born to rule-every word and deed of
His as Lord Rama bore the hallmark of royalty. Thus, He could command
anyone to do His bidding. However, the Lord incarnated as Krishna to
demonstrate His Soulabyam (easy accessibility) and thus took birth in
the Yadava clan. He was not a king (due to the curse of Yayati that
no descendant of Yadu could become a king). Therefore, He could not
command anyone to do His bidding. He was not a Brahmin either in this
incarnation. On the other hand, the Gopa damsels were common folk.
Thus, it was improper for the Lord to beseech them for favours.
However, the Lord was undoubtedly SarvEshwaran-the emperor of the
entire Universe. Therefore, everything sentient and insentient
therein was his rightful property including the butter of the Gopa
ladies. Consequently, Lord Krishna invoked His right as SarvEshwaran
and stole the butter from the Gopa damsels. "

The connection to the Lord of Seven Hills is most evocative. Ten out
of the 12 Azhwars have sung the praise of the Lord Srinivasa who
stands majestically atop the Venkatachalam Hill showering his Bhaktas
with the copious stream of his Daya. A common theme of their
outpourings on the Lord of Seven Hills is that of SharaNagati.  Thus,
the Azhwar's tone of address becomes serious at the mention of Lord
Srinivasa. It may be remembered that
(1) Swami NammAzhwar, the Prapanna jana Kootasthar performed his
formal surrender at the Lotus Feet of Lord Srinivasa
(2) Kulashekara Azhwar declares that "PonmalaimEl EdhEnum AvEnE"
and "padiyAy kidandhu un pavazhavAy kANbEnE"
(3) Swami Alavandar establishes in the Siddhi Trayam that among the
three Rahasyams, the Lord of Seven Hills is the Charama Shlokam,
which is the most forthright advocation of the doctrine of ShraNagati
to His Lotus Feet
(4) Sri Ramanujacharya declares in the opening verse of Sri Bhashyam
that Lord Srinivasa is the beacon light known as Brahman that shines
forth at the head of the Shrutis, i.e., the upanishads "Shruti
shirasi vidhIpthE brahmaNi srinivasE"
(5) Swami Desikan's stotrams are replete with the usage of prapadhyE.
However, in keeping with the above declarations, Swami Desikan
commences the Daya Shatakam with PrapadhyE and ends verse 100 with
the declaration "mukthAnuBhUthimihadhAsyathimE mukundha:"

May the SharaNagatha Rakshakan, Vekatesha (he who presides over the
destruction of our sins), known as Lord Srinivasa (who is never
separated from Sri both in name as well as due to Thayar's eternal
residence in His vakshasthalam), the epitome of Daya, enrich,
elevate, ennoble and edify our lives. Thanks again for a superb
posting.

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan