Re: [t'vengadam] The Stranger

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 8, 2002

--- bindinganavale suresh
wrote:

> Yes,it is really strange and a
> pain for us that we seem to know so much of this
> Stranger??
> from the  scriptures and works of acharyas and
> alwars,but today when we ask ourselves whether we
> have
> seen him or found him?,we are not in a position to
> give a definite and convincing reply though we can
> arrive at logical conclusions or answer based on our
> faith in the Lord generated in us from our own
> experiences in life.

Actually for most people they are not bothered who the
"Stranger" is and for some including myself even
though with little knowledge about the "Stranger" we
are not looking at the "Stranger" who is the friend of
all living entities. The Stranger is situated in the
heart of all living entities (iswarah sarva bhutanam
hrddese arjuna tishati, BG Chap 18).

The Upanisads states that within the heart of every
living entity there reside both the jiva and the
paramatma just like 2 birds sitting in the tree. One
of the bird (we the jiva) is very busy eating the
fruits from the tree (enjoying our senses) while the
other bird paramata) is just watching us. Although the
2 birds are in the same tree, the bird that is eating
(we the jiva) is fully busy and engrossed in eating
and enjoying the fruits of the tree, too busy to even
look at the "Stranger" nearby who is witnessing us.

If by any chance or the bird that is eating (we the
jiva) turns our face to our the "Stranger" who is
actually our friend and recognises his glories, the
bird (we the jiva) will be delivered from all
anxieties.

As mentioned earlier the "Stranger" is actually our
friend and the jiva's forgetfulness of the
relationship with the paramatma causes the jiva (the
bird) from one tree to another (transmigrating).

Although we (most of us) know that we should stop
eating and look at the "Stranger" but instead of doing
it we continue to eat and eat.

Bala.

=====

M. Balakrishnan