question on heart and faith

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 7, 2001

Dear devotees of the Lord,
Please accept my pranams.

Here I would like to ask one question on which I have
been thinking for a very long time.

Sri Malolan Cadambi is trying to present the evidence
that the heart (or let us say feeling) is only   a
designation given to us by material nature. (to what
we should definetely agree)
And the soul is beyond all such designations.
And the Absolute Truth cannot be reached, felt or
understood by such faculties.

So my question is - What is faith or Sraddha?

Is faith only a qualified condition of our mind and
inteligence?

Or is it the only true substential experience of
Spiritual Reality in this world, felt in the "heart"
of the soul, and independent from all our material
designations?

Where is the ultimate confirmation that Spiritual
Reality and the Supreme Lord are truly "real"?

Is it in the scripture?

Or is it with the soul in the form of faith?

Does the scripture gives the faith to the soul?

Or the faith of the soul recognizes the scripture and
takes it guidance and instruction on its journey?

Your insights into this subject will be greately
appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

damodar

Srinivas Fine Arts Ltd.
Sivakasi

Dear Shree Damodara Swarup,

Here is what I found in the pramanas.

Logic and Heart:
---
1.) Philosophical Principles are beyond logic and the
human heart. This
is
evident from the following pramana;

"When all the desires of the heart harbours are gone,
man becomes
immortal
and reaches the brahmman here" (From the Katha
Upanishad as quoted by
Sri
Mysore Hiriyanna)

Atma Shakshatkaram is one of the goals for a jiiva.
Here the heart is
different from the jiiva.

Using Logic to Understand Philosophical Principles
---

Philosophical principles are not just in the domain of
scholarly
investigation, but they are beyond logic. Tarka plays
an important role
in
understanding the pramana, but definitley,
philosophical principles are
beyond tarka, as again evident in the following
pramana.
"Naisha Tarkena Matirapaneya -Logic does not determine
philosophical
truths - which are beyond the the realm of senses"
Katopanisad

Hope this helps.

Adiyen,

Malolan Cadambi