"Two prabandham works on maNavALa-mA-munikaL"

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 18, 2000

(1)  The 'mA-munikaL nURRantAdi' is the work of Sri anantAzhvAn alias
muttu-svAmi aiyangAr (this, relying on my memory) of the divya-dESam
ten-tiru-p-pErai reckoned among the AzhvAr-tiru-nagari nava-tiruppati.

The work is identified as of the early 1800's.    The author-devotee is, very
obviously (!), different from Sri anantAzhvAn / anantAN-piLLai deputed by
uDaiyavar for permanent residence in tiru-vEnkaTam tiru-malai for organising
the tiru-ArAdhanam of the Lord.

The work is authentic since (i) the author and his time are identified,(ii)
no attempts have been made to attribute it to a better-known personality,
(iii) its internal references are as corroborated by other
accepted works, and (iv) no false claims have been made for a 'canonical'
status for it.

This 'nURRantAdi' is at once a work of moving devotion and scholarship and
conforms to the structure, and is animated by the spirit, of the 'irAmAnuSa
nURRantAdi'.
~~~
(2) The 'mA-munikaL kaNNi-nuN-Siru-t-tAmbu' is the work of the 'kUTa-stha'
kOyil kandADai aNNan, Sri Varada-narayana-guru, who was among the eight
principal disciples ('ashTa-dik-gajam') of mA-munikaL.

The title 'kOyil aNNan' was conferred by mA-munikaL,
and it is the AchArya from this tiru-mALikai who, in the daily worship and
festival occasions of nam-perumAL,
is addressed by the title 'vAdhUla-dESikar', being descended from svAmi
mudali-ANDAn who, in his time,was formally appointed by uDaiyavar as the
administrator ('Sri-kArya-durandhara') of the Great Temple of Srirangam.

aNNan's works are mostly in Sanskrit language, and the
'kaNNi-nuN-Siru-t-tAmbu' stands out not only being in Tamil but for its
spirit of devotion towards mA-munikaL.
~~~

aDiyEn rAmAnuja-dAsan,
tirumanjanam Sundara Rajan.