Re: Japam Vidhi Clarification

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 17, 2000

Dear Sri Lakshminarayanan:

At 01:32 PM 10/16/00 -0400, you wrote:

>I have 2 questions:
>
>1. I have been told by elders from day-1 that
>while doing Japam (gAyathri or moola manthram
>or any other that I should cover my hands
>that are counting with the Utthareeyam. Why is
>it so?

Response :
*********
In the GayathrI Manthram , PraNavam (OmkAram)
is Purushan and Gaayathri is Sthree .

" OmkAra: Purusha: PrOktha:
  GaayathrI SindarI tathA
  TayOssamyOga kaalE thu
  Karam aacchAdhayEth Budha:"
  --VisvAmithra Kalpam
(meaning ): PraNavam is a Man and GaayathrI
is a lady. That is why the Manthram is
recognized as "Sthree PumsAthma GaayathrI"

Both the hands have to be held under the UttharIyam
and Japam has to be performed for realizing
Phalan. The idea is to respect their privacy
during their union .

This procedure of using UttharIyam
is generally followed for all Japams
as well.

AhnIkam says : ayamEva NyAya: (This is
the right thing to do.

>2. Could we do japams using beaded mAlai (garland).
>Any specific rules about using sandal wood bead mAlai.

Response:
*********

The count is done with fingers and thumb
of the right hand in the prescribed way .
One moves it clockwise until one comes to starting
point (10 counts). Japa Maalai is not used for
GaayathrI japam .

For other japams , Lotus bead maalai or TuLasi bead
maalai is preferreed. Sandal wood bead maalai
has perfume and hence it would be distracting
while one concentrates on Manthra Japam , which
also requires the meditation in between on the artham
of the Manthram. The Japam is also done silently
without lip movement .Anything that distracts
has to be avoided.

There are a lot more vidhis (rules)for Japam .
Hope this is sufficent for now.

V.SatakOpan