Re: Question about Purandara

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 12, 2000

Dear SaadhakA :

The reference to Sriman NaarAyaNan in
the deeper and metaphysical sense is in
Rg Vedam 1.109.8 Rk and other Sruthi
passages .

As you indicated , in common parlance ,
the Thripura SamhAram episode gives
the reference to Lord Siva as Purandhara
( Pura: sathrUNAm nagarANi dhArayathi ithi):
ThripurAndhakan .

The other meanings given to Purandhara:
are Agni, VishNu and JyEshtA Nakshathram
(18th lunar mansion).As in case of
Sanskrit words , the context will
determine the meaning .In the female form
PurandharA refers to GangA river that originated
from the feet of Lord Thrivikraman .

Coming back to the deeper meaning of
Sriamn NaarAyaNA as revealed by
Rg Vedam , it is the world of
Sapithvam ( saha prApthavyam sthAnam ),
Sri Vaikuntam , reached by archirAdhi Maargam
as indicated in Brahma Soothrams and Upanishads
on which they are based.

Rg vedam 1.109.7 refers to Sapithvam
and the next verse 1.109.8 starts with
the word Purandharaa:

PurandharA sikshatham vajrahasthamam
Indraagni avatham BharEshu
tannO mithrO varuNO maamahanthAmadhithi:
Sindhu PruthvI utha dhyou:

(meaning): " Oh resplendent Self and Mind ,
destroyers of the strongholds of evil ,
instruct us and protect us in our struggles
with adamant hands. May the friendly , VENERABLE
AND INDIVISIBLE LORD and His bounteous creation ,
including the Ocean , the earth and the celestial
regions grant us our wishes".

There are many deeper meanings to this manthram .
For the discussion purposes here , the reference to
VishNu-NaarAyaNan can be inferred from here.
Vedic grammar has its own twists .I wont get into
those fine points in this posting.

The examples are abundant in AzhwAr Prabhandahms
( e.g: PeriYazhwar ) and Upanishads , where this
concept of Puram is referred to quite a bit.

V.Satakopan