Re: Preserving the Tradition!

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 6, 2000

Dear Sri Mani Varadarajan,

Thanks for your mail.

The point is more easily stated than done and is going to be herculean task where the lead has to come from our Acharyas who also happen to be the Heads of Mutts and Asramams and whose words are "law" as far as hundreds of thousands of SriVaishnavaites are concerned.

As far as i am concerned i have already started a subtle but firm prayers to my H.H to relax these either all of a sudden or gradually as He may deem fit at least in our Asramam to start with.

I am sure that the Padukas will make this possible at the earliest.Already the first few delicate steps are being thought of and we will keep at it till the Padukas grant this.
Thanks again.

Regards.

RR.

mani@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

> The second is a point already referred to in my postings i.e.,
> the need to integrate all SriVaishnavas without any
> discrimination.Now they are classified as 'Srivaishnavas' and
> 'Bhagavathas '.This will no doubt arouse very serious and
> stubborn and maybe violent resistance from many quarters but
> this is , in my humble opinion, the single most important and
> revolutonary step to be taken and taken now apart from relaxing
> the dress code.

Dear Sri Rajagopal,

I have been saying the same thing for years and I am overjoyed
that someone in a responsible position finally agrees with me.
This is the only way to preserve our tradition. What's more,
it is the morally correct thing to do, in the spirit of Bhagavad
Ramanuja.

What can we do to achieve this?

IMHO, relaxing the dress code is far less important than accomplishing
the integration of Sri Vaishnavas of all castes into one goshti.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,