Re: Sri HyaagrIva SthOthram : Part XXII-->SlOkmas 26-29

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 4, 2000

Sri U.Ve. Sadagopan Swamin wrote:
> SlOkam 27 : Prayer for the blessings of the Power of speech
>
> disanthu mE Deva ! sadhA thvadhIyA:
>   dayA tarangAnucharA: katAkshA :
> srOthrEshu pumsAm amrutham ksharanthIm
>   SarsavathIm samsritha KaamadhEnum
>
> (Meaning ): Oh Lord ! May Your dhivya KatAkshams
> (divine glances) imbued with Your limitless dayA
> bless me with the powers of eulogizing You !
> May those sthOthrams serve as nectar for the ears
> of the listeners ! May Those Sri Sookthis confer
> all auspiciousness on those , who recite them !
> May adiyEn be blessed with the powers of speech
> to compose such poems through Your divine grace !

I too am enjoying each and every one of these anubhavams
by Sri Sadagopan. This is the first stotra of Swami Desikar
that my father taught me. When learning it back then I
found it very difficult to pronounce, and certainly couldn't
understand a single word.  The meaning now comes alive thanks
to Sri Sadagopan's lucid narrative.

For Swami Desika the prayer embedded in this sloka no doubt
bore fruit.  Can we not say that each sentence of his is
evidence of the 'sarasvatI' which Hayagriva Bhagavaan gifted
to him?

Word has it that upanyAsakas recite this sloka before beginning
their discourses, and it has been my good fortune to hear
Sri Tirukkudandai Andavan (Kannan Swami) reverentially repeat
it each and every day before he began a lecture series
on Srimad Ramayanam.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,