Re: Anadyayana period

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 30, 1999

Smt Praveena wrote:
> adiyEn would like to know the reason for considering this period ( this time
> falls from Nov 23rd to 26th Jan) as Anadyayana period and also the reason
> for not reciting Nalayira DivYa Prabandam during this period.

Here is what Sri T.V. Venkat of Tiruvallikkeni wrote last year
on this subject:

                            SrimathE NArAyaNAya namaha

With regards to the ongoing discussions on  the chanting of the divya
prabhandams during the anadhyayana kAlam, I would like to add my two
cents worth.

Whatever I am writing is with respect to the tradition being
followed in ThiruvallikkENi. This is more or less the same in
Thiruatthigiri also.

On the day of ThirukkArthikai after the PurappAdu and ThailakkAppu, the
person who says the kaTTiyam will read the paTTOlai from PerumAL to
NammAzhwAR. The brief content of the paTTOlai is " I and my two
NAcchiyArs will be seated in the simmAsanam during the pagal patthu
and rAppathu utsavam days and will listen to all the prabhandams.
Till then, no one should recite or even think (vAiyinAl OdhAmalum,
manatthinAl ninaikkAmalum..) about them". This is perumAL's niyamanam
to NammAzhwAr.

Then starting the next day, until pagal patthu starts, none of the
prabhandams will be recited. During the nityapadis only UpadEsa
ratnamAlai is recited. Also ThiruvAimozhi nooRRandhAdhi is recited on
the ThiruvAdhirai and Moolam days.

Even ThiruppallANDu and ThiruppaLLiyezhuchi are not to be recited.
Exemption is only during the Dhanur mAsam days. However during the
SAtrumurai, the four + 8 verses of ThiruppallANDu are not recited.
ThiruppAvai is recited once again only during the Dhanur mAsam.

After the IyarppA SAtrumurai is over, the next day,
ThiruppallANDu thodakkam will be done and then the regular recitation
of all the prabhandams will continue in the Temple. However, to
recite the same in our houses we are to wait till Thai mAsam Hasta
Natchathiram ( which our KooratthAzhwAr's SAtrumurai).

This is the brief note about the Chanting of Prabhandams during the
anadyayana days which is being followed in ThiruvallikkENi.

I feel a little bit sad about this practice, for no other reason
other than that Thondaradippodi Alvar and Thiruppaan Alvar, whose
thirunakshatrams fall during this period, do not have the privilege
of having their Prabandhams recited on their birthdays.

Mani