Re: question on 'sati'

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 30, 1999

Dear Sri Vishal Agarwal:

Many Thanks for the splendid reference
to Dr.Frank Morales work and your annotated comments
from Vedic sources on this question of "Sati".
Any civilization is to be judged on the basis of how
it treats women, Children and Older citizens .

In this context , I can not but lean towards  VedAs ,
which have their preeminent place in the hierarchy of
PramANams . Hence I will put a lower emphasis on
PurANAs and rely on the guidance of Vedic wisdom .

The human suffering of the widows in India especially
in the villages and the cruelty shown to them even today
is legendary .Besides the profound pain of loss of
the loved one , the living hell that they experience
is indescribable. My father had an aunt , who was married
as in the olden times at the age of eight .Her "Child"
husband died at the age of 12 from an accidnet . I remember well my
father's aunt being shunted from one house to the other
(Her brother's and other relatives ) and literally
going out of her mind .The (menatal) himsais caused to her
and others in their unfortunate status are a sad blot
to our history as people believing in the great
declaration , "AhimsA paramO dharma:".This makes one shudder.
I am totally against this type of treatment of women
and am absolutely abhorred by the thought of Sati being
practised in this day and age anywhere .

V.Sadagopan