Re: Food For Thought (revised)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 28, 1998

Namo narayana, Please accept this modification of my views.

AFter talking to sri dileepan, I stand corrected in the way I have
presented my previous email regarding this subject.  I have indicated my
corrections of my own previous statements below :

At 09:15 PM 11/27/98 -0500, Krishna Kalale wrote:
>asmad gurubhyo namaha
>
>Once I asked my acharya whether I am allowed to chant strotras or do japam
>(like dvaya mantra) while driving, since I was driving a couple of hours a
>day at that time ( and I did not have enough free time at at home) . I
>wanted to use  driving time usefully.  I did mention that my grandfather
>had told me that there are really no rules while chanting dvayam and that I
>wanted to confirm it.  my acharya  told me to loosen or remove my footwear
>before doing japams even in a car. I am sure my acharya did not consider
>whether that would be a hazard or not, since the way I was explaining the
>situation to him did not bring that point at all.  I just followed blindly
>what my acharya told me.  then while driving I started loosening my
>footwear and then continue chanting or reciting gita or whatever made me
>feel that I was remembering GOD.
>
>then I did feel that instead of meditating on GOD, I was worried about my
>footwear constantly that it may  accidentally get stuck near the brakes or
>accelerator pedal (I have a manual stick shift vehicle) and force me into
>an accident.  While I was worried, one day, my footwear did stick to the
>accelerator and almost forced me into a bad accident, which by god's grace,
>I could avoid by some last moment maneuvering.  Then I realized, it is no
>use getting worried about the footwear getting caught; one has to use the
>time efficiently in thinking about GOD. One has to meditate on GOD not on
>one's foot wear!  I am so used to having my shoes on, I dont even think
>about it while driving.  It is better to think about GOD and leave  the
>rest to GOD.

sri dileepan suggested, that why dont you remove your footwear and leave it
in the backseat, if you are planning to do japam. this way you obey your
acharyas command and also use the driving time effectively?

I agree with dileepan's views that I could accommodate acharya's views.  I
did not think of it at all.  I guess I did not try hard enough to find a way.

>Another instance, which comes to my mind is that when people look at these
>rules regarding Coffee etc. some important information is forgotten.  I do
>agree that coffee and similar substances should be avoided.( Let me state
>here that I do drink coffee infrequently;  I am trying to quit it but under
>some circumstances such as , when I have to prepare for a meeting and when
>I am feeling totally unmotivated about preparing for it I try to sip half a
>cup of coffee to get motivated; I dont know whether it helps, but I feel
>that it helps (I may be fooled by some chemicals).

Please note that ,  I am not suggesting that it is OK to drink coffee.
where there is a will there is a way.  I do feel that the classic western
view on desires is " the easiest way to get rid of a desire is to fulfill
it !!! ".  This view is definitely not supported by our shastras.  the
shastras state :  "na jatu kamah kamanam upabhogena shamyati "  - which
means -  never will desires will be conquered by fulfilling them by
actually experiencing the desires.  satisfying a desire basically makes
one's desire stronger and reduces one's will power.

May be if I try hard enough I will be able to completely eliminate coffee
or tea from my diet. I need all your blessings for such a feat!