Re: thiruppaavai verse 2 clarification

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 19, 1998

Madhavkkannan wrote:

> Once, in an upanyaasam, Sri KrishnaprEmi referred to these words as: aiyamum
> is dedication to Bhagawaan or offering to the Lord (Bhagavadh arpaNam);
> picchai is dedication to BhAgawathAs and guests (athithees); aandhanaiyum
> kaikaatti is to the best of our ability; uyyumaaReNNi is ' bhara samarpanam'
> and ugandhu refers " MahaViswaasam''.

Dear Madhavakkannan,

Thank you for this explanation. This roughly corresponds
to what Periya Accaan Pillai and others have written as
the svApadESa artham (allegorical meaning). However, my
doubt is about what the basic Tamil meaning is, as Tamil
words go. What are the literal meanings of the three words?

Mani