Re: Sita Piratti's three separations from Sri Rama

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 11, 1998

Krishna Susarla wrote:
> As I have been led to believe in the past that this list is not
> only for Sri Vaishnava viewpoints (and please correct me if I am wrong), I
> assumed that this would not be unwelcome.

I suppose I should comment on this.  We all benefit when
views other than our own are aired, but I want to be careful
that this list remains a forum for discussing the Sri Vaishnava
tradition.  In other words, viewpoints of non-Sri Vaishnava
philosophers are welcome, as long as they are discussed in the
context of Sri Vaishnavism.  Lengthy independent expositions of
views outside the context of Sri Vaishnavism are not appropriate
in this list.

To take the specific example of the Kurma Purana verse before us,
it is enlightening and informative to know that there are other
explanations for Sita's agni-pravesa.  It is also important to
understand how Sri Vaishnavas view the mAyA-sIta opinion, given
that it occurs in a Purana. I think the discussion has already
come this far.  However, further discussion of this and how it
relates to Bengal (Gaudiya) Vaishnavism should be carried on in
private email, in my opinion.

I hope these guidlines are clear.

Thanks,
Mani