People to perform religious ceremonies.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 12, 1997

Dear Bhakthi group members :

Coming from a long line of PurOhithAs
before that word got a limited meaning and
living next to temple priests for many years,
I agree fully with the spirit of the observation
of Sri KrishNamaachAri .PurohithAs and Bhattars
respected each other , but  rarely stood in for
each other.Here in this country , the clear dearth
of PurOhithAs puts a pressure on temple priests.
Some times the consequences are sad , since
some of the priests are mesmerized by the
additional revenue . Others fully understand
their prime role and serve the community in
other areas out of the acute need for officiating
in such functions .

There is no simple solution to this problem .
Only the availabilty of the two categories
in the future will ease this demand
as the Indian communities here grow. The situation
is somewaht similar to few decades ago , when
the village-based people got English education and moved
to careers in the cities like Madras , the purohiths
of those familes also migrated to Madras to
"tend to their flocks " .

It is also possible that number of "Scientists,
Engineers , Professors " living here now would
devote more attention to these Vaidhika karmAs ,
become knowledgable and extend their services
to others just like the volunteering of
Sri KrishNa Kalaale recently to handle GrahapravEsam
function at Sri Mohan Sagar's new home .

The functions and the duties of these two
important groups of people ( Purohiths
and priests ) are quite distinct
and different .

My grandfather was a "Bruhaspathi " and
was expert in Yajur and Saama Veda PurOHitham .
He was revered .He was known as Poundarikapuram
Brahaspathi.

My father as the first son followed that line.
His constituency consisted of people , who
would wait for him for days to perform the important
functions and bless them .He explained to them the
meaning of the ManthrAs and will not let them
rush thru any function . They welcomed that .
They knew that he had their auspiciousness
and hitham in mind and went in front ( puram )
to seek it in the saasthraic way .

My next door neighbors were from the illustrious
Bhattar families , who were AaradhakAs of
Sri Oppiliappan . They were Purohiths to The Lord
and performed agni kaaryams and other kaimkaryms
to him . Some of them were learned in VedAs.
The late Sri Varadaraja bhattar of Oppiliappan Koil
learned Yajur Vedam from my grandfather .BTW , Parasara
Bhattar , the son of KuratthAzhwAn was the purOhithA
to Lord Ranganatha .

In summary the training , knowledge , anushtAnams
are indeed quite different for the two categories
of People such as PurohithAs and Archakaas of the Lord .
It is also approriate to remember that in India itself ,
the old fashioned PurohithAs are hard to find and
Purohitham has become like any other profession
with revenue generation and market development
as key goals .Their scholarship level of suthrAs
and ahnika granthams are far from satisfactory .

V.Sadagopan