RE: Upanayanam and Sandhyavandan

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 7, 1995

>From: Jay.Bharadwaj@nrecatao.nreca.org

> Please let me know what
>would be a polictically correct term if Shudhra cannot be used.  The
>only reason why I even brought up this subject is because this
>question was put to me at a puja cum lecture yesterday and I wanted
>answers from knowledgeable sources.
>
>Jaganath.

The terms "panchamar" meaning the "fifth caste"
and "chaturar?", "fourth caste" are considered politically correct.

There is also the term "saaththaadhavar" and
"saaththinavar" in Tamil, which is not derogatory.
I found this term in the
list of the 72 "mudhalis" of Sri Ramanuja.
However, the list that was posted to this group
omits that classification, as it is not relevant.

Actually most of the discussions in this group
have "no need" to refer to caste.
It need not be brought in unless absoulutly needed.

Srinivasan K