gita and varnasharma dharma

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 1, 1995

--

this is an answer to sreekrishna's objections of the meanings of
chaturvarnyam verse :  guna and karma based classification.

The meanings I have assigned to guna and karma : were not meant to be
an explanation of that verse in particular.  I represented a traditional view.

Let me tell you that traditional view is not very far off from the Gita view
also. the support is as follows:

1.  chaturvarnyam verse clearly supports a scientific view rather than a
birth or parentage based view of classification of castes. this is true.
however -

2. in the 18th chapter, "bramhana kshatria vishaam shudranaam cha parantapa
karmaani pravibhaktani svabhava prabhavair gunaihi".

in this it is hinted that, the activities or preferable vocation of the
brahmins, kshatrias and so are classified based on the orientation of
their natures.  In this it seems that Lord Krishna has put the cart in front
of the horse. what I mean is that, it is fair, to say that that those who
do satvic works are bramhanas and those who do military related work as
kshatrias etc. here in this verse the reverse or vice versa is indicated which
conforms more with a traditional view.  IN fact other samhitas such as
bramha samhita etc. indicate a traditional view as more appropriate.

2A :  NOTe that the verse - chaturvarnyam is not at all meant in the original
context to refer to caste system at all. that is probably an unintended
side effect. the real purpose of that sloka in that context is to explain
birth based variety as not God's discrimination but the effect of the previous
karmas and nature of the jeevas which bring forth variety. ie. that is why
Lord Krishna states that I am a doer and not a doer of this creation :
meaning the variety was created by the karmas of individuals and the
samashti sristi : ie. the creation of mind, matter, etc. is my creation.

3.  further : the verse - madbhaava maanasaa jaataha teshaam loka imaha
prajaaha : has brought the position of manus to be representative of
Lord Krishna's views.

4. in manu dharma shastras : the traditional view is stated all over again
and again.

with these in mind the traditional view is upheld.

BUT THE BOTTOM LINE WHICH I QUOTED TAKES THE STING OUT OF THE APPARENTLY
NEPOTISTIC TRADITIONAL VIEW IS:

SO A BHAKTA OF THE LORD WHO MAY BE BORN IN ANY COMMUNITY IS THE GREATEST AND
SHOULD BE TREATED AND RESPECTED AS EQUIVALENT TO A SAGE OR RISHI.

NOTE:

The way a particular issue is practised in real life makes it much more
disgusting than what it really is.  I do agree that the caste system in practice
is deplorable.

krishna