Re: Andal's greatness - Smt Vathsala Srinivasan's Question

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 27, 2002

Dear Shri Venkatesan,
I beg to differ from your view..
1. While they had to take on nAyika bhAvam, Andal did not have to
do any such thing. Nayika bhAvam came naturally to her...
How can a Female having nayika (Female)baava superior to born Male adopting nayika baava? Infact we appreciate male actor performing female character than female actor doing the same in generic terms.. With your point " stree praayam itharam jagat" will become untrue..
2. But her greatness lies in the fact that she took on an even greater bhAvam
    that of the gOpikas.

Nammaalwar has sung "ennai thaanaaki ennaal thannai" in thiruvaaymozhi 7th pathu- 9th thiruvaaymozhi..

And Periaalwar has sung in baavaa of  Mother and Father.

Are these baavaas inferior to GOPIKAS? Cannot be.

So "aazhwar than cheyalai vinji niRkum thanmai" can't be these.

Kindly comment and clarify.
Regards,
Nanmaaran
 TCA Venkatesan  wrote:Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Dear BhAgavatas,

There is not one or two things that can be said to show
Andal's greatness. One can talk about it for a long time
and still will not be done.

AdiyEn will take up just a couple of things to show it.

Manavala Mamunigal shows why Andal is so great in another
pasuram of Upadesaraththinamalai itself. In it Swami
says "kunRAtha vAzhvAna vaikuntha vAn bOganthannai
igazhnthu, emakkAkavanRO ingu ANdAl avathariththAL".
She descended from Sri Vaikunta leaving Him and the
bhOgyam of being with Him for our sake. It is not
amazing that He would occasionally descend and walk
amongst us to save us. Greater than that is that She
would leave Him and be born in this world and live as
one of us and show us the path to reach Him.

Coming to the question of directly comparing to Azhvars,
our acharyas have done this for us. Amongst the Azhvars
Nammazhvar and Thirumangai Azhvar are very unique and
great. They both take on Nayika bhAvam as Parangusa
Nayaki and Parakala Nayaki in many of their pasurams
and express their yearning for the Lord. While they
had to take on nAyika bhAvam, Andal did not have to
do any such thing. Nayika bhAvam came naturally to her.

She could have stopped at just that. But her greatness
lies in the fact that she took on an even greater bhAvam
- that of the gOpikas. The greatness of the gOpikas has
been established by our acharyas in many places, so
adiyEn will not go into that in this post. AdiyEn will
simply point that the fact that Andal took on this role
alone is sufficient proof of their greatness.

By the way, it is the way of acharyas to say that this
Azhvar or Acharya or avatar of the Lord is the greatest
and so on. This does not mean that the other
azhvars/acharyas/avatars are lower. Because the same
acharya would turn around and praise the greatness of
another azhvar/acharya/avatar and so on. One has to take
the nahi nindA nyAya in these cases.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan

--- Vathsala Srinivasan