Re: divya prabhandham - doubts from Smt. Rajalakshmi

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 22, 2002

Dear Sri Vasudevan,

Thanks for that beautiful post. Permit adiyEn to add an
example to explain the two bhAvams of Periyazhvar.

Take the case of a person with a beautiful painting or
a great gem in his possession. The article would be
priceless but he/she would still love to show off this
article. At the same time they would be worried that
something might happen to it and would go to extraordinary
lengths to protect it.

This is the case with Periyazhvar. In the Yasodha bhAvam
he cannot suppress his glee and delight and calls
everyone to come and take a look at this most beautiful
child. In the fatherly bhAvam ("pongum parivAlE
villipuththUr pattar pirAn peRRAn periyAzhvAr ennum
peyar" says Manavala Mamunigal in his Upadesaraththina-
mAlai) he cannot but be greatly worried as to what
evil-eye might be cast upon Him, when He descended (to
see Periyazhvar) with all His consorts from His abode of
purity to this world full of lowly things.

So, yes, Azhvar's bhAvams appear contradictory but they
are both Srivaishnava lakshaNams.

If adiyEn has said anything wrong above, I request
bhAgavatas to correct me.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan

http://mailplus.yahoo.com