Re: worship of Srivaishnava purvArcharyas (was kamba rAmAyanam)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 21, 2002

Sri:
Srimate Ramanujaya Namaha

--- Sri Laksmi Narasimham wrote:
> In fact I have another point which cannot
> be(I guess) denied by any one. If
> we worship Shri Ramanujar, Shri Manavala
> Maamunigal and Shri
> Desikan then
> there is nothing wrong in worshipping Shiva
> who is also a great
> Vaishnava.

Dear Sri Narasimhan,

I'm not sure if this is your viewpoint, but it appears
misleading.

In Nyasa Vimshati(shloka 2), Swamy Desikan states 8
reasons why an Acharyan must be worshipped like God
Himself. Among other important reasons listed by Swamy
Desikan here, it would be relevant to point out that--
an Acharyan blesses us a spiritual birth that
prevents rebirth (Janma pradhvamsi janma pratha
garimathayA).

Srivaishnava Archarya saarvabhoumars (and prapannas of
the highest order) like Emperumaanaar, Swamy Mamunigal
and Swamy Desikan himself, are prime candidates for
this definition.

Can the same be said, with certainty, of anya-devatas
like Siva? Which shastra/Acharya has recommended
*mumukshus* to worship these deities?

Besides, Siva is a post. We can't be sure which
jivatma is being referred to. (refer Swamy Desikan's
Varadaraja Panchashat shlokas 10 through 15).

> If one says he just respects the acharyas then he
> could also
> respect Shiva.

As you have noted yourself, having "respect" for someone does
not imply that we must "worship" them.

In conclusion, I don't agree that the established
practice of aradhanam of Srivaishnava poorvAcharyas
can justify the worship of anya-devatas including
Siva.

Bhagawathas are requested to pardon and correct my
errors.

(Please refer a very informative and relevant post
by Sri Anand Karalapakkam:
http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/feb98/0044.html
)

emperumaanaar thiruvadigale sharanam.