Re: sajjanasambhava

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 19, 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ute Huesken"

> I would be grateful to learn more about this text an its background.
>
> Best regards,
> Ute

Dear Dr Huesken,

My friend from Chennai informed me sometime back that Vedanta Desika, the
author of Sajjanasambhava (also Sajjanavaibhava) is different from Vedanta
Desika (Venkatanathan, or Swami Desikan). He quotes a book from the bhattar
of Srivilliputtur, which is a Vaikhanasa Divya Desam  who had commented on
this issue.

There does not seem to be any evidence that Venkatanathan composed
Sajjanasambhava. This is not mentioned in any of his traditional
biographies, and even by the biography by Doddayacharya of Sholingur
(ChozhasimhApuram). It would be interesting to know what evidence Pandit
Krishnamacharyulu presents to support his point.

Meanwhile, I would like to bring to your attention an upcoming publication
on the Vaikhanasa Agamam.

"VaikhAnasa Vijayam : A short Sanskrit work on this Agama.
[SrI SrIvatsA~nkAchArya SwAmi's bhUmika included]"

Please contact U Ve Anand Karalapakkam at Chennai for this book. It has been
re-printed recently. His email address is kgk@vsnl.com

-Regards,

Malolan Cadambi,
Austin,TX

(Note from Moderator):  In a book titled "SrI PAncarAtra rakshA of SrI vedAnta deSika", published by The aDyAr Library, and edited by Pundit M. Duraiswami Aiyengar (2nd ed., 1967), it is indicated that svAmi deSikan is the author of sajjana vaibhava.