Re: CLARIFY ME PLEASE

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 28, 2001

Murali Seshadri  wrote:

> 1) There are various satsang groups (not
> SriVaishnavite satsang groups) that sing Siva bajans
> in addition to Krishna, Raama etc.. Many of us are
> associated with such groups due to our physical
> proximity to such groups and also due to the various
> good social service activities that these groups are
> involved with. I seek advice from learned members of
> this bhati list to kindly guide us on this issue as to
> what position we should be taking.

>From my experience, if you are refering to some satsangh groups
outside India, yes many of them do involve in Singing Bhajans of Anya
Devatas. This can be understood by the fact that the bhakta
sammelanam across countries outside India are not entirely made up of
Sri Vaishnavas alone.Hence the need for a "wider" mode of
bhajans/pUjas.

This topic has been discussed ever since the inception of the bhakti
list many many times. Adiyen can only hope to "rationalize" it by
refering to one of the quotes of Adi Shankarar:

"Aksam Pathitham Thoyam, Yatha Gacathi Sagarami Sarvadev Namaskaram,
Kesavam Prathi Gachathi"

"Just as all the mighty rivers ultimately flow into the ocean,
through whatever mode a devotee worships, he ultimately reaches the
One Lord Kesava"

> 2) Sri Vishnu Sahasranama has a quite a few references
> to the nama 'Siva'. But Sri Vishnu Sahasranama is
> recited in all our temples (I mean - Perumal temples).

Actually, all the names of Sarveshwaran can connote Maheswaran.
Appayya Diskhita had authored a work wherein he equates all names of
Sarveshwaran found in the Vishnu Sahasranamam to Maheshwaran.However,
he fails to connote the word "nArAyanA" to maheshwara.

Refer to the Vishnu Sahasranamam bhAshyam of parAshara bhattar which
is called "bhagavad guna darpanam". Sriman Narasimhan Krishnamachari
of Naperville,IL is regularly posting on various namams of
Sarveshwaran found in the Vishnu Sahasranamam.

Here is a link which archives the postings of Sriman Narasimhan
Krishamachari;

http://www.geocities.com/padmamkk/sahasra/index.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,