Re: Saligram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 23, 2000

At 04:46 PM 11/21/00 +0530, you wrote:
>Srimate Sri Lakshminrisimha Parabrhmane Nama:
>Srimate Ramanujaya Nama:
>Srimate Nigamantha Mahadesikaya Nama:
>Srimate Athivan Satakopa Yathindra Mahadesikaya Nama:
>Srimate Srivan Satakopa Sri Vedantadesika Yathindra Mahadesikaya Nama:
>Srimate Sri Lakshminrisimha Dhivya Padhukasevaka
>Srivan Satakopa Sri Narayana Yathindra Mahadesikaya Nama:
>
>Dear BhakthAs
>
>In all Sri vaishnavAs home, we do worship Lord Narayana in saligramam.
I would like to know how to find the form of deity in saligramam.
Some elders say it is Gopalakrishnan and others say
>Nrsimhan depending on their findings.  Is there any specific method
to know the exact form of the deity in saligram.  I request BaghavatAs to
enlighten me in this regard.

>Adiyen
>K Balaji

Dear Sri Balaji :

The identification of  SaaLagrAma Moorthy is a complex
subject for Experts. There are many forms of the Lord
associated with individual SaaLigramams . There is a
mnograph (may be out of print)on how to identify them
and which one are not to be acquired for house hold AarAdhanam.

SaaLagramam worship is easy to perform .

Usually , Sri VaishNavite households have their SaaLigramams
handed thru generations .At the time of Family celebrations ,
the elder blesses the next generation with the present of
a SaaLigrAmam . Lot of people today have SaaLigramams in
their poojA Grahams and do not know what Moortham they have.

Outstanding collection of SaaLigramams are at
MalOlan Sannidhi , which have been in AarAdhanam by
the revered Jeeyars of Ahobila matam for centuries.
Next time , You visit MalOlan Sannidhi , You can
have the darsanam of these SaaLagrAma Moorthams ,
Some of them are very rare forms like having
Sri Narasimhan on one side and Sri Sudarsanam
on the Other side.

At Kanchipuram VaradarAja perumAL Koil ,
you will have the opportunity to haev the darsanam
of many Sudarsana SaaLigraamams at Sudarsanar
Sannidhi.

You can acquire them at SaaLigrAmam , a dhivya
desam . It is not easily reached however by most of us.

Hopethis helps,
V.SatakOpan