Re: Char Dham Yatra

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 21, 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:39:33 -0800 (PST) srinivasan sampath wrote:

> Friends,
> I have a small query which i wish to get  cleared thru
> my learned friends of this egroup.
>
> I am told that for a srivaishnavite it is a must to
> visit the char dham in india viz Badrinath dham,
> Dwarkanath Dham, Puri Jagnnath Dham and Rameshwaram
> Dham.
> I also know that there are 108 divya desam of which
> 106 is in india and 2 in vaikuntam.
> I wish to understand that whether the above mentioned
> char dham is also a part of the 108 divya desam or
> not.
> Please also exlain the importance of visiting the char
> dham.
> Regards,
> S. Srinivasan

dear Sri Srinivasan,

badrinath and dwarakanath are among 106 divya Desas. Also badrinath is among
8 swayamvyakta kshetras i.e. 8 holy places  where Perumal is self-manifested.
other 7 are thirumalai, Srirangam, Srimushnam, Vanamaamalai,
pushkar (rajasthan), Naimisaranya (UP), Salagram known as Muktinath (Nepal).

Puri is one of the holiest Vaishnava shrines. Many Srivaishnavas inlude a
slokam "nIlAchala nivAsAya nityAya paramAtmanE
	     subhadrA prANa nAthAya jagannAthAya mangaLam"
in their daily mangaLASAsanam.

Rameshwaram is a Saivite shrine. while the surroundings are belived to be the
places sanctifed by the thiruvadi of Chakravarti Thirumagan, the
sthalapurANam which says lord Sriram worshipped Siva is not supported by
vAlmIki rAmAyaNam.

Alwar Emberumanar jeeyar thiruvadigale Saranam
Vishnu
http://www.iitian.com : An Extraordinary place for Extraordinary people